Last month, we partnered with Dan Churchill, the handsome author and chef with the Australian accent featured on ABC’s “The Chew” and “Good Morning America” and challenged him to create some seasonal, healthy takes on family-friendly comfort food for our Børn faithful.
Take a note from Dan and treat your guests to a bowl of warm Pumpkin Quinoa Risotto. This dish is versatile, so you can use butternut squash, sweet potato or sugar pumpkin. Regardless, this recipe combines rustic seasonal ingredients for a hearty, delightful course. It’s a sure and easy way to satisfy and impress your dinner guests.
As far as other substitutions go: coconut milk can be substituted for cow milk, or a nut milk (soy, or almond). It’s to taste and preference.
PUMPKIN QUINOA RISOTTO
1/2 sugar pumpkin (or butternut squash)
1 tbsp Olive oil
2 tsp salt
1 cup quinoa
2/3 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup pine nuts
handful of sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop pumpkin or squash. In a bowl, drizzle chunks of pumpkin or squash with olive oil and sprinkle on salt. Spread evenly onto a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Add quinoa and 2 cups of water to a pot, bring to a boil on high heat. Turn heat to low and cover with a lid and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes or until quinoa opens up and is light and fluffy.
- Pour 1/3 cup milk and pumpkin into a blender, and blend until smooth. Add in 3 tablespoons of quinoa and puree for 5-10 seconds, until combined.
- Spoon pumpkin puree mix into a pan on medium heat and add the remaining quinoa, vegetable stock and remaining coconut milk. Stir until well combined (you may need a little more stock just so it doesn’t stiffen up).
- In a small frypan on medium, melt your butter and toast the pine nuts for 15-20 seconds or until golden. Add in the sage leaves, then take the pan off the heat.
- To serve, pour quinoa risotto mix onto serving plate and top with the sage and pine nuts. Sprinkle with a little extra salt and drizzle with olive oil.
And voila! A hearty and healthy meal to delight the stomach. Pumpkin Quinoa Risotto is the first of three recipes in our Dinner with Dan series. Dan Churchill is our favorite chef. A surfer in his spare time, his love of fitness and activity speaks to his knack for healthy recipes. While you wait for more recipes, check Dan out on Instagram.